Monday, February 20, 2012

Beaunz at large : Sheryn does Saudi Arabia


For the past decade, whenever I've heard Sheryn's name it has associated with somewhere exotic and far-flung. I cannot begin to guess how many passports she's been through and how many languages she can ask for a beer in, but she's definitely top of my list of dinner guests next time she swings through New Zealand! Over to you Sheryn...

I'm living in...
Riyadh Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

I've been here...
For 18 months.

I'm here because...
No:1 the money and benefits
No:2 After leaving London I wasn't ready to 'settle' in New Zealand or Australia - I still wanted an adventure.

The first thing I bought when I arrived was...
A sim card. It's essential for their banking system and arranging limos (taxis). Because women are forbidden to drive and there's no public transport I rely on the limo service and hospital transportation.

My favourite thing about where I live is...
The weather, no taxes, and the compound.

The thing I miss about New Zealand is...
Friends, NZ food and rugby.

The thing I don't miss about New Zealand is...
Hangovers and paying for petrol :)

I wish I could...
Spend 6 months on a super yacht in the Mediterranean with all my friends, my sister and my brother. We're all so spread out around the world it would be fantastic to have everyone together again. 

Since leaving New Zealand I...
Have become very patriotic. I love my country but I also love exploring the world.

The best place for coffee in Riyadh is...
Probably Starbucks.

The best place to eat in Riyadh is...
This fabulous hotel restaurant called Al Khozoma - they do an international buffet where you can eat fresh food and even enjoy sashimi. It's also possible to sit in this restaurant and not have to wear an abaya. It's difficult to get high quality fresh food here.

I stay in touch with what's going on in New Zealand by...
Stuff website and Facebook.

Before I came here...
I didn't know what to think, I didn't have any expectations. I knew it would be restrictive and it certainly is. It's a unique culture with a massive expat community.

The biggest change in me since I moved here is...
Personally I've developed an appreciation of nature, how I miss trees, grass and beaches. I've learned to depend upon myself and the biggest change in me is patience. You have to have patience to survive here.  

When people visit I always take them to...
Actually, no one visits here. It's too restrictive and there aren't any fun attractions. It's a dry country so there's no alcohol therefore no bars. There are no cinemas. If a male friend came to visit me we wouldn't be able to go out together because we're not related or married, therefore should not be out in public together. Crazy I know.

For me, home is...
Where I am now. I like to live in the moment and Saudi Arabia is home.

When friends from Saudi Arabia are visiting New Zealand I tell them to...
See the South Island (even though I've never been but I hear it's quite spectacular) and the Coromandel.

If I could describe my life here in three words it would be.?
Peaceful, Stress-free, Unique.

x